CASE Study: Growing Girls Participation in STEM + Arts Education with EdSnaps.
EdSnaps, short for Educational Snapshots is a nonprofit designed to inspire underserved girls to become Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) & Arts learners. The organization runs summer and after school programs for middle and high school girls in the Bronx and northern Manhattan. EdSnaps designs immersive activities, learning expeditations, and exposes students to role models in STEM + Arts fields. The goal is to promote diversity in the sectors and turn STEM learners into next generation STEM leaders.
Starting in 2018 through 2022, Maura Kelly/ PMM worked with EdSnaps founder, Dr. Susanne Cappendijk, Ph.D., MBA to provide strategic advice, brand messaging, and fundraising opportunities. She also facilitated effective communications workshops and mentored select students. She used the following tactics:
- Review existing brand positioning and videos to ensure the messaging is on point for sponsors and partners while ensuring EdSnaps comes across as creative and fun to students.
- Amplify social media channels (LinkedIn and Twitter) to build the brand and promote the mission.
- Expose the founder to high profile corporate executives and socially conscious companies for partnerships.
- Create effective communications and storytelling workshops.
- Connect with similar emerging social media campaigns that are engaging women and girls, like “Girls Up.”
Results: EdSnaps brand and profile are stronger and its influence is growing.
Increased exposure in social media channels and at events enhanced EdSnaps advocacy and development efforts.
Review of the EdSnaps website and brand positioning resulted in a more robust website and fundraising materials.
Speaking opportunities for the founder at Grant Thornton events amplified the EdSnaps mission.
- Founder introductions to executives from PepsiCo, Verizon, Viacom, Grant Thornton, and Moet Hennessy USA provided new partnership opportunities.
Fundraising and Partnerships:
- Secured National Australia Bank (NAB) as a sponsor for two years in a row.
- Responsible for NAB doubling their contribution in 2019.
- Successfully engaged NAB Corporate Social Responsibility team and arranged for employees to participate in EdSnaps activities over two years.
EdSnaps is all about inspiring and increasing girls access and involvement to STEM (+Arts) learning.
EdSnaps and its supporters acknowledge the pervasive gender gap in STEM, and have long been dedicated to creating inclusive learning environments that bring out the best in underserved girls. The mission continues in 2023 with several new initiatives.