Case Study: HOPe Helping Other People Foundation worked with Maura Kelly/ PMM to Amplify its Brand and Mission Through Digital Content Strategy and Partnerships.
Helping Other People (HOPe) Foundation empowers people in the world’s poorest communities to take steps out of poverty, providing them with resources to build sustainable livelihoods. The organization works with local agencies to provide work skills training, education and healthcare programs.
HOPe selected Maura Kelly to help them strengthen their profile and brand in New York City, and engage a broader and younger audience in order to boost fundraising.
The HOPe board is a lean and entrepreneurial group of individuals and like many small nonprofits has invested little money in promoting the organization. With an aging donor base, they need to engage new members and donors.
Maura Kelly conducted strategic planning and provided the HOPe board with tools, messaging and digital content to engage their existing networks and potential supporters. During this time we:
- Facilitated a SWOT analysis of the organization at the 2019 AGM and identified priorities for the next two years.
- Designed a compelling website focusing on current projects and past projects, including testimonials, and bios of board members – complete with donate button. https://hope-charity.org
- Created a content marketing strategy complete with board stories and project impact stories.
- Created an email marketing strategy and database of potential donors.
- Developed a fundraising research and grant proposal strategy.
- Helped form a committee for the annual dinner and provided them with content for social media channels.
Results – We played a major role in increasing the profile of HOPe’s mission and projects in the NY tri-state area. The Foundation’s brand and board are stronger and their influence is growing.
- A major philanthropist and nonprofit leader signed on as the keynote speaker for the annual dinner in fall of 2019.
- The HOPe board were introduced to several government officials and business leaders.
- HOPe was the recipient of a major gift from a leading business organization in NYC.
- Increased engagement through social media, website, and special events.
- In 2018, total donations were up by about 25 percent compared to 2017.
- Online donations grew by 25 percent.
Increased attendance and contributions to the HOPe Annual Dinner by 20% over the past five years resulting in over $130,000 raised.
Content and media coverage:
- We designed a storytelling contract strategy with three different styles:
- Impact stories, highlighting how local nonprofit agencies utilize HOPe Foundation grants to create positive change
- Stories of people, celebrating the local people who the recipients of HOPe funded programs and their success stories
- Strength stories, showing positive changes in communities made possible by the HOPe Foundation.
- Select stories were published on the Huffington Post and the Irish Echo, and repurposed for LinkedIn and Facebook garnering 100’s of impressions and shares.
- Added 150 new followers to HOPe Facebook page through a series of strategic posts
- Post AGM SWOT analysis, we delivered a strategic plan complete with action steps for 2019 to 2021.
- Established a scholarship program to engage members and provide a personal and trackable outlet for donation.
Earlier results (2011-2015) Maura partnered with HOPe and embarked on two field trips to assess and document major program grants in Ethiopia and Peru resulting in increased exposure and new members.
- We created the HOPe in Ethiopia blog: http://hopeinethiopia.wordpress.com/ – a collection of personal stories and photos of people and projects from the field that were uploaded every evening. Engagement went up 50% with member base as they followed our Ethiopian trip.
- Created a video of HOPe in the Ethiopia trip. YouTube analytics reveal 713 views.
- Media coverage: published articles for the Huffington Post and LinkedIn on Ethiopia Journey.
- “A Parade of Humanity” https://www.huffpost.com/entry/a-parade-of-humanity-hiva_b_858543
- Advocate and campaign writer for Ethiopian journalist and former HOPe colleague exiled in Kenya. We helped him attain refugee status and resettlement to the United States. After a two-year period, Betre Yacob and his wife are living in Michigan.
- “Living in Exile – Ethiopian Journalist Betre Yacob Struggles”
- Media coverage: Created articles on Huffington Post and social media posts on Facebook about the field trip to the HOPe project in Peru.
- Article: “Where the Streets Have No Name”
- YouTube – “Morning Meditation” – Glimpse of morning meditation for preschoolers at Sr Rosa’s School and Community Center in HUAYCAN, a suburb of Lima, Peru. The building and school programs are funded by HOPe. YouTube analytics reveal over 427 views. https://youtu.be/SslTfEu2PQs